When you leave your home it’s important to ensure you leave it as secure as possible. Getting into an ‘exit routine’ can help ensure that you don’t forget obvious, but important things, like not leaving your valuables near windows. Here’s a quick reminder on what to do when you leave your home.
– Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
– Set your burglar alarm.
– Make sure the side and/or back gate is locked.
– Lock your shed or garage.
– Make sure that any valuables are not in sight.
– Put keys out of reach of letterboxes.
– In the evening, shut the curtains and leave some lights on.
– Never leave car documents or ID in obvious places such as kitchens or hallways.
If you are going to be away for days or weeks at a time, you will need to take additional action, such as cancelling newspaper and milk deliveries. Consider asking your neighbours to close curtains, or park on your drive. Use a timer device to automatically turn lights and a radio on at night.